Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, January 22, 2007

Dancing with the stars?

How do you prepare to belly dance after dinner? It never crossed my mind until a young woman - with long hair, even longer arms and exposing more skin than is usually seen in a Monmouth County restaurant - slithered into a Turkish eatery to entertain diners Saturday night. It was quite a sight. Two little children, no older than 7, joined in at her first table stop. She serenaded a newly engaged couple at another table. Then she stopped by our table and invited the person nearest the dance floor to join her for a spin. Guess who?

So there I was, not a great dancer in the first place, trying to look like I knew what I was doing. I didn't. Turkish dancing is not like the jitterbug or the cha-cha or even the twist, but it was for my minute of fame. My wife and dinner companions, thankfully, didn't critique my moves. They could only praise what a good sport I was.

I was so flummoxed by the sudden stardom that I forgot to tip her - which I suppose is the point of the whole exercise. By the time we came up with the cash, she was gone. But it was the highlight of a very good evening. And the food was good, too. We'd definitely return, but I won't be sitting within easy grasp of any passing dancers -- even with long hair, longer arms and exposing more skin ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:59 AM, January 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home