Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, October 01, 2007

Waiting 'til next year

As noted in my bio, I'm a baseball fan before all other extracurrics. And the Mets have been my team since before they were formed in '62. So these are sad times after their September swoon? Not really, because as much as I love baseball, it's only a game. I do believe my "Baseball is Life'' T-shirt because the game holds so many life lessons about preparation, discipline, redemption and, thanks to Yogi, "It ain't over 'til it's over.'' But in the big picture, it's just an escape, though one that can be so satisfying.

That being said, I'd like this off season to bring my team an ace pitcher, starters who get into the seventh inning or later, a bullpen with guys who throw strikes and get outs, hitters who really know what clutch means, some role players who know how to play the game and, most importantly, a collective "refuse to lose'' attitude - confidence without cockiness - that turns losses into victories. Then, we'd be playing meaningful games next October.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of Ricky Henderson too.

2:43 PM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I watch the Phillies getting pummeled by the Rockies I think to myself, were it not for that sad turn of events at the close of the regular season, that could be the Mets getting pummeled.

10:58 PM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's absolutely right..Show Henderson the door. .....Hold onto Willie, Wright, Reyes, Beltran, and LoDuca. Everyone else can go play cards with Ricky, especially Billy "the Whiner" Wagner and "I'm bored" DelGado. They need to play harder.....LIKE THE YANKEES!!!! AND WILLIE KNOWS IT!!!!!

4:42 PM, October 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home