Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My Sitka connection

All news is local, but it doesn't always touch your life. Ordinarily I wouldn't pay much attention to news of a private plane crash in Sitka, Alaska, that killed four people. Sad, but there's so much other sad news. But today I did because it was only two weeks ago that I was visiting the former Russian capital of Alaska as part of my cruise-land tour of Alaska. I walked around the downtown area where the crash occurred. I was a tourist just like any of the 2,800 estimated in town Monday afternoon.

But then I learned that this is indeed a local story because the victims are from Monmouth County. A father and his two daughters, ages 14 and 9, from Spring Lake Heights plus his fiance from Wall. Most of a family gone (one son survives), thousands of miles from home. I know their home town and, for one day, I knew the destination of their last moments. Sometimes it's hard to be immune from the news.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jersey Shore Beach Bum said...

Larry. Sal Marino from Point Pleasant. Hi. Regarding ystrdy's topic of the day letter by Martin C. Konkus, mayor of PP. He seems to set the record straight. Last week's editorial "Officials should chill out" seemed to be written before all the facts were gathered. Who wrote that? I've always known "Marty" to be an up front guy even though I don't always agree with him. So it seems to be a contradiction regarding this Dairy Queen Fiasco. Could you let me know the whole story on this editorial? Thanks.

1:14 PM, September 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home