Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

E-ZPass for all

So the folks at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey are considering doing away with the toll booths that accept cash at the bridges and tunnels into New York City. Good for them. Seventy percent of the motorists already use E-ZPass. It's about time the convenience of
E-ZPass is forced upon all motorists.

Those without E-ZPass will have photos taken of their cars and get billed later. The PA should tack on a surcharge to pay for the extra paperwork and payment delay. That might encourage drivers to enroll in E-ZPass even if they don't use it regularly. As for the toll collectors forced out of work, well ... it was nice work while it lasted.

Maybe E-ZPass technology can be extended to all parking lots -- whether at the airport, the stadium or arena, downtown, the beach or anywhere a fee for parking is charged. It sure beats hunting around the quarters, dollars or more.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have EZ Pass and I feel itis an infringement on my privacy to be forced to have it.

6:45 PM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous. I only use these facilities a few times a year so why should I bother with an EZPass?

11:05 PM, May 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Ray, I was anonymous, having trouble with logging in, so I was lazy in putting my name in...Wow! You agree with me about something. I'm marking this on the calendar! :))

Margaret

4:01 PM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must be the beginning of the End Times, then. Satan walks among us.

10:57 PM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, knock it off! But then again, I believe Satan walks among us now too...Wow, Ray! You did it again! I'm gettin' scared!! :))

3:55 AM, May 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to put "Margaret" to that quote...

3:56 AM, May 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think of the MONEY! 2 to 4 million EZpass accounts Prepaid every month. If the average account was billed $50/Mo. the interest earned would make most of us very happy. The great state of NJ charges a $1/ Mo. service fee for our convenience.

When I was a young boy, we refered to a bull mating with a cow as him servicing her; that's the same type of service we get from the state and our elected officials, from the Gov. on down.

8:23 PM, May 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you must have EZPass to drive as they won't accept cash. Good. That will keep all the Bennies that come from other states out of our great state as they will not be able to cross the bridges. (Don't forget, not all states have EZPass.) That will mean a lot less toll bridge income, gas taxes, sales tax, etc. that the state can collect. Not to mention the loss to the shore during the summer. Think of all the boardwalks that will close up and be replaces by condos. By the way, I will have to move out of state very soon as I don't have EZPass and I don't intend to get it. If I don't move soon I will be trapped as I won't be able to cross a bridge on the way out.

10:56 AM, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home