Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, April 21, 2006

A homer for the ages

For those of us too often reminded that the people around us are getting younger, Julio Franco's home run for the New York Mets last night is reassuring. Franco, 47, became the oldest major leaguer to hit a home run, displacing the Philadelphia (yes, Philadelphia) Athletics pitcher who held the record for almost 76 years.

And Franco's not ready to rest on his laurels. "That won't be the last home run I hit, and I hope I hit one when I'm 50,'' he said. He'll be 49 when his two-year contract with the Mets expires. So if he re-ups with them, he might do it as a Met.

Franco's indomitable spirit and confidence can be the Baby Boomers' version of their youngsters' "The Little Engine That Could'': "Yes, I Can; Yes, I Can.' '

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home